Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Suffering from withdrawal

Here I am in Florida. Nice.....No snow. Warmer than up north. However, as much as I'd like to say otherwise, we have had our share of gastro disappointments.  Let me share a couple.  Stone Crabs are rare these days. The weather in the gulf has been rough and they are not catching many. We hope that will change soon. We've been without for 2 weeks now.  Secondly, my favorite purveyor ( fish monger) stopped going to the weekly Farmers Market. My source of fresh grouper has been cut. No Black or Snowy grouper for over a month. Ouch!   Yes I could find them elsewhere but it's a hike.


      Good news, still fresh veggies, and alternate sources of fish. Last night------another yum.   Fresh Mahi Mahi (sometimes referred to as dolphin, but not the kind you normally picture)  sauteed (yet again) in a ginger and lemongrass sauce/marinade.  All natural ingredients and purchased in the health food section of the grocery, an interesting place to find some unusual and tasty items. The fish, accompanied by a tossed salad with parmesan/raspberry dressing  was great. The dozen raw oysters on the half shell that preceded the dinner were very sweet and succulent. A real treat, although shucking really fresh oysters can be a workout.

In addition, we are at the moment stocked with a few pounds of off the boat shrimp. Jealous?  A term I heard was a dollar a swallow. They are huge. Okay, so I bragged a little. I think I'll go turn the A/C down a bit and think about how I'd like them cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear your comments!