Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chicken and Shrimp....South African Way

I always love submissions. I wish I could be at every meal but I can't. My friends are very talented and like to share their attempts with others.  Today Chef 's Barb and Jim try something new. Tonight is South African. Enjoy, Here is where we begin...............

Hi V!


A few pics from last night and some commentary. The meal was yummie and started as follows.

After lunch out last week with my friend, who moved here over 35 years ago from South Africa, we decided to pattern one of our Friday night dinners after our wonderful lunch. One of the owners of the restaurant we went to was originally from South Africa as well and the sauces for the food that they served was Piri-Piri. The Piri-Piri ranged from Medium to Extra Hot and the level of heat is based on the quantity of African Birdseye Chili Pepper in each. Rene, my friend, purchased the medium and the hot to serve with the grilled shrimp and chicken. We also had a remoulade sauce (as they did in the restaurant) for those looking for a less seasoned sauce.





Yellow Rice with White Raisins, flavored with a cinnamon stick, tumeric and sugar from Rene’s cookbook – Cooking the South African Way.
The Shrimp, seasoned with a dusting of Emeril’s BAM!

Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan.

Jim, slicing grilled chicken breasts.



Franklin, Filling his plate!!!! 
My dear friend from South Africa that provides the
sauces, the shrimp and the inspiration for the evening!

The end – Deep Dish Peaches and Cream Pie.