Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines Day (interesting)

I can only begin with an explanation. Roasted Beet Salad has been a recent effort that has consumed Chef Pete' ever since he had this most marvelous salad at a Punta Gorda , FL restaurant. Tonight he attempted it at a Valentines Day dinner for six. To sum it up this is what his mother said. "...poor Jim ( Chef P')..his roasted beet salad did not live up to his expectations.. I told him yesterday that I had two jars of Aunt Nellie's sliced pickled beets that I could bring over and slip in the back door and no one need know!"Joy

This is how the Chef viewed it. Can you believe that the famed Farmer Fred was in attendance for this demonstration? No mention of Farmer Dog. Thanks to Chef Deb for pulling it out of Chef Pete' hands.
The newspaper under the salads was a nice touch that was an original idea created by Chef Pete'.

PART 1 ( the beginning)
V-

Valentine's Dinner:
The "Roasted Beet Salad RBS" started off poorly....
Right off the bat, the shallots started to burn. So I did what you would do, and quickly took the pan out into the snow. Quick thinking saved the day.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Chevre, starting to stray from the recipe. At this point thoughts of saving the dish from becoming a mushy failure,
are beginning to rage in my mind. I seem to make everything a stew, regardless of the recipe. Notice the new tongs that automatically open and close. Not cheap but a great innovation.


Tonight's Guests> Oil Painter< Tom F. (notecards & paintings for sale)
Farmer Fred (w/ FarmDog) and their girl friends...

It is good thing they like vino. Perhaps their minds will stray from the food

Part II (The truth)
V- 

Valentines Dinner for 6 @ 6
Farmer Fred brought his roasted garlic, and tempted us w/ a new Kale & Sausage dish to rival his personal best.
I will attempt to get the full recipe.



Plating of the much anticipated "Roasted Beet Salad". Hope springs eternal at this stage.




The setting... at this point "The Roasted Beet Salad" still looked good. I should have known it was to good to be true.
The jury approved..... the Chef said "it tasted like expensive sawdust" (never again).
Burning my concocted recipe will save     humanity from this dish.


At this point I needed a taste I recognized. Chef Deb's tuscan pork tenderloin... yum!


Farmer Fred's farm raised strawberry jam on top of pound cake. After a couple glasses of vino, I thought Fred had lost his mind & plated more pork tenderloin for dessert.

For once we had the right wine for the evening.

Love to all,

3 comments:

  1. I hope Chef Pete' does not let this roasted beet salad fiasco dampen his culinary spirits.
    How fortunate he is to have Deb fixing such things as Tuscan Pork Tenderloin.. looked wonderful. Thanks for keeping these folks in good spirits..if you know what I mean.. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Blog-
    Upon further reflection, I was going to say something positive about my RBS dish. Hard to think of any.
    I think that chilling the roasted shallots, might have interrupted my rhythm.

    Good work Blog master,
    Chef Pete`

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred's Red Wine!
    Apparently, nothing but the best for these folks.

    Salute,
    NT

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!