Saturday, December 5, 2009

Memories of Turkey


Okay, so we had Thanksgiving dinner alone. Not a bad thing. I wish it was less traditional but I'm not the Thanksgiving Day planner or chef. My wife does it all and it is very traditional. Excellent  in fact. Where I veer off on the unknown she is truely homestyle, which I love.

        What was it? Turkey breast, mashed potato's, cornbread stuffing, Sally's best green beans cooked long and slow with bacon and onions, and a 'to die for' cranberry salad. Let me not forget the gravy, which covered almost everything.  All the pan drippings, to which we added  a jar of Williams Sonoma turkey gravy. Only available at Thanksgiving. About $11 a jar, but splurge, it was worth it. Absolutely awesome.

         I know it's long past due but that was it. More info than you need, is that after Thanksgiving we get together with other couples in our condo complex and have a leftover party. Neat idea. You re-enjoy the food and celebrate all over again. A real blast. Especially when you get to try other folks traditions. Lucy and Dom made a unbelievable sweet potato casserole. Oh, do I need that recipe. I'm not a fan of sweet potato's with sugar and sweet marshmellows, and although it had honey and molasses in it, it was out of this world.
Dream about it.

The Cranberry Salad recipe follows. I mention Publix grocery store but it could easily be Krogers or any other store.

Cranberry Salad


1 box cherry Jello (3 oz)
1 Cup boiling water
1 container (14 oz) Ocean Spray orange-cranberry relish) or Publix fresh
½ cup diced celery
1 cup sour cream
½ cup pecans

Mix Jello & Water
Add relish
Set until thick
Fold in nuts and celery

Pour ½ in 8 X 8 pan
Spread Sour Cream over
Pour in remainder of jello mixture
Chill

Can be cut in squares and served as a salad on a lettuce leaf or any other way you prefer.

The term relish and salad in the ingredients is synonymous.

1 comment:

  1. I love cranberries or any type of cranberry salad. Tell Sally I'm going to try it. I made a cranberry relish dish for Thanksgiving and only 2 of us eat it (about 30 there), but oh well, I fix what I like. Enjoy your nice weather, Judie from KY.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!