Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vodka with a twist

I have to say that Vodka, at least to me, tasted like turpentine, best hidden by Bloody Mary mix. Tabasco Brand with Horseradish, if available. However given that awful scenario, I came across a recipe that sounded very unusual and prompted experimentation. It was in a Grey Goose Vanilla Vodka Ad. I made it for Sally & it was a hit. I have since have made it for numerous friends, who have also made it for their friends. Always a hit, tastes great, good texture, unusual, fun.

Some critics (JP) will shudder at the thought it was discovered in an ad, but good marketers should be fired if they didn't put very good, well tested recipes in ads which can be a good source of new recipes. Okay, here goes: CHILI SHRIMP ON SWEET POTATO PANCAKES WITH VANILLA VODKA BUTTER SAUCE. (see side bar for recipe)



Vodka sauce (not gravy) gourmet, turpentine, awful ! WRONG. It was intriguing because 1- I like shrimp, 2- Potato pancakes were a common occurrence in my Polish background and attracted me, 3- the change to sweet potato's interested me, and 4- a Vanilla Vodka sauce????? It was great, as Deb & Sally can attest to, and I accepted their accolades..


The sauce can be made ahead of time, as can be the pancakes. Cover them with alum. foil and heat before serving. Really easier than it sounds. Nice presentation, lots of color. Think about the cayenne your adding. Be gentle if "heat" matters.


NEXT:

As I said, I'm not a Vodka drinker but during a cruise through the Eastern Caribbean in the Spring of '09, a traveling partner ( on Regent Seven Seas Navigator) suggested, Grey Goose Vodka over crushed ice with several olives. OMG, it was delicious. I since discovered that Grey Goose, (French heritage) was really smooth as well as expensive. Research showed that we might call this cocktail a "dirty martini", and the addition of blue cheese stuffed olives is over the top. Currently my 'special occasion splurge'. Similar to a fine glass of wine.

My thoughts for today.

Do waszego zdowia ( To your health)



Supported by our sponsor:



Jim Peterson Architect & Builder, GUEST CONTRIBUTOR(sometimes), Director of Marketing and Associate Editor

2903 Dotson Drive, Louisville, KY 40223
h 502.244.1888
c 553.1010
f 244.6593
http://www.jimpetersonarchitect.com/


1 comment:

  1. Not sure I could pull off the shrimp recipe...but the dirty martini...now we're talkin'! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!