Monday, January 25, 2010

Italian Competition Continues

We are all drawn into cetain favorite foods that we find satisfying and appealing and comforting. Despite my Polish roots and love of some of my homeland dishes I have always swayed to the Italian side of food. Pasta, pizza, red sauce, just pour it on. I can never get enough.

Today we read another submission from our friends in Memphis. It can be called anything you want  but a categorical name would be "Lasagna",  a descriptive term might be "Rich", a review term might be "out of this world".
Our Chef's  have a  tradition of hosting Friday night dinners for friends and it is always a treat to see the menu. It is good, I've been there and have imposed my noted opinionated suggestions. They graciously nod and let me have my way. Sometimes they try to trick me into cooking things that are unusual.  The time we were there and made, from scratch, South African sausage (Boerewors) to impress a good  South African friend, who was going to be in attendance is..........You had to be there to believe it. Another topic, another time when we can share some photos with you.


Today, Southern Italian Lasagna (done my way) YES-----that is steam coming from the fresh, out of the oven, baked lasagna!

               Fresh Bread                                                                                Small portion for the unsure

The Recipe
1 – 32 ounce jar spaghetti sauce 1 to 2 pounds ground beef

(mushroom meat sauce optional) 1 pound ground sausage
1 medium onion, chopped 1 package egg noodles
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature Mozzarella cheese

Cook noodles until almost done; drain and combine with sour cream, cream cheese and butter. Brown beef, sausage and onions; combine with spaghetti sauce. Layer in 9” X 13” baking dish; one half meat and sauce mixture and then noodle mixture. Repeat layers. Top with Mozzarella cheese and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear your comments!