Thursday, September 24, 2009

Florida Meals


As I'm preparing to head south for the winter my mouth begins to water. Sorry to the  meat and potato folks out there but Florida offers me, fresh Stone Crabs. The ones with the hard ceramic shell and dipped in a mustard sauce or (in my opinion better) melted butter. A side of cole slaw or baked beans is wonderful. Expensive, yes. Delicious, yes. Easy and a good hot weather meal, yes. Although I've never been there, Joe's Crabs in Ft. Lauderdale is the ultimate restaurant for "stonies". But I'm in  Ft Myers and we get some of the best right there. Smaller is cheaper, jumbo is much more expensive and although there are less claws the meat is more plentiful. Experience can tell you which you like best. There is no cooking. They are pre cooked on the boat. AND, the crab does NOT die. They are only allowed to cut off one claw, which grows back.


My wife of 23 years introduced me to Stone Crabs. We eat them once a week. I, on the other hand, introduced her to soft shell crabs. A neat contrast to Stone Crabs. These are " maryland style" crabs that you eat before the shell hardens.You eat the whole thing. No plucking of small bits of meat out of a shell.  You have to get them at the right time but frozen is okay. Breaded with panko and sauteed or braised is great. If you ever see it on a menu, try it. A friend of mine who is really skeptical about "fish" things loved a Soft Shell Crab sandwich with a bottle of beer.  Eat, learn, be brave.
          Chef Pete', last night, opted for strip steak when he could have experienced beet rissoto. I too, would have. Although I like seafood most and fish also, steak is always acceptable.
     So much for today. I'm already thinking of my next entry.

Mangia bene, vivi felice
Eat well, live happy

1 comment:

  1. Waaaahh! Stonies!! Brad and I soooo miss getting take out from Joe's in Chicago. Best stonies ever! ("Take out" stonies from Joe's in Chicago!?! Weren't we spoiled!!?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!