Tuesday, August 11, 2009

You have to start somewhere


I don't consider myself a good cook or an expert at cooking BUT I can tell you this--I like to cook. I get great pleasure out of starting with little more than a concept of making something I think I will like and having it turn out good. Do I follow a recipe? Sometimes one or maybe 15. I sometimes combine recipes to include the ingredients I like most.


Take the other night for example. I was in the mood for shrimp. How should I serve it. Southern style was on my mind. I happen to have picked up some country ham at the grocery the other day, so Shrimp and Grits came to mind. Hmmm, I wasn't quite into grits today but I had some basil-garlic polenta on hand. So, now we have fried Polenta, Sauteed Shrimp (which I dipped in flour with some red pepper) topped with a Red Eye Gravy sauce that was made with the country ham, left over coffee, a bit of Madiera wine and some crushed tomatos.


Did it turn out good? Great is a better description. Another success. How fun!


My favorite comment that I make to Sally (my wife & good fan of my cooking) is, "I hope you enjoy it, you'll never have it again!" Okay, so I don't really keep my own recipes. I usually go off the cuff and just try to create. I usually tell Sally to stay out of the kitchen. I like to surprise her.


Anyway, don't be afraid to try things, if it sounds good, it will be.


So much for my first attempt at blogging. Suggestions and recommendations are welcome.


2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of the blog, I have some recipes to share and look forward to taking some of your ideas and putting my own spin on them.

    Happy eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try the Korean flank steak this weekend. I am looking forward to it. My wife loves lettuces wraps and I love steak…. Two birds, one stone. Since I am borrowing one of your ideas I thought I would share one of mine.
    A while back I learned the phase “argodolce”, which essentially means “sour sweet” in Italian. More importantly is what it means to your mouth. The ideas behind this phrase are very apparent and obtainable in this simple little dessert recipe.

    Strawberries with balsamic vinegar

    2 parts good quality balsamic vinegar

    1 part table sugar

    Mix together the vinegar and sugar allowing the sugar to dissolve.
    Pour over sliced strawberries and let macerate for five minutes.
    Place the macerated berries in individual serving dishes and top with whip cream and biscotti pieces.
    Feel free to play with the ratio of ingredients.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!