Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mumblety-peg and other nutty things

Cutlery Game-
Mumblety peg is generally played between two people with the aid of a Big Kitchen Knife. In one version of the game, two opponents stand opposite one another with their feet shoulder-width apart. The first player then takes the knife and throws it to "stick" in the ground as near his own foot as possible. The second player then repeats the process. Whichever player "sticks" the knife closest to his own foot wins the game. Brings back fond memories of a delightful childhood, with a lot of dull Knives in the Kitchen drawer.
If a player "sticks" the knife in his own foot, he wins the game by default, although few players find this option appealing because of the possibility of bodily harm. The game combines not only precision in the knife-throwing, but also a good deal of bravado and proper assessment of one's own skills. I am foggy as to the outcome of these matches.

A variant of mumblety peg has evolved as a drinking game where several matches of mumblety peg are played successively. At the end of each, the loser must take a penalty—generally taking a shot. Consequently, the precision with which the knife is thrown often decreases.... as the game progresses. Whichever player backs away from the game first, is declared the loser.
Of course, the ultimate Culinary Game.... is Salmonella Roulette-
One tub of mayonnaise is left out in the sun for 6 hours. Later, five fresh tubs are shuffled w/ the evil tub. Then six or more friends make sandwiches. Wait,150 minutes.
Don't lose. Dan Bosler & I still have memories ..... of not winning. So, in this case Winning is EVERYTHING.

Bon Vivant,
Jim Peterson Architect & Builder & GUEST CONTRIBUTOR
2903 Dotson Drive, Louisville, KY 40223
502.244.1888 c 553.1010 f 244.6593
http://www.jimpetersonarchitect.com/
also on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of the blog. I love to cook, I do not get to do it as much as I would like. When I do I am always looking for something new to try. I recently became inspired by a show I was watching. The showed touched on a point of what the Italians call "argo dolce." This means sour sweet. More important than the translation is what it means to your mouth. The food I have made since then has opened up a new world to me. Pairings that I never would have thought of working together absolutely elevate the dish to a whole new level. I will share the recipes that I have made recently with you soon. To keep the comment short (too late) I will just share an easy one with you. Mix a couple teaspoons of sugar with a quarter of a cup of good balsamic vinegar until the sugar dissolve and mix with sliced strawberries. Top with some whip cream and some pieces of biscotti and enjoy. I have never enjoyed strawberries more. You can play with the ratio of sugar to vinegar to fit your taste.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your comments!